Re: Stupid Newbie Question - Install Netscape from download

At 07:07 PM 11/25/01 -0500, Chris Jenks wrote:
>At 07:00 PM 11/25/01, John Griffiths wrote:
>> >
>> >Look inside the directory.  There should be a file called
>> >INSTALL or README.  Use "vi" to open it and do what it says.
>> >
>> >Good luck.
>> >
>> >HTH,
>> >Jesse
>>
>>I'd recommend using "more" to view the README file,
>>unless you know how to close a file in vi (which most
>>newbies do not know how to do)
>
>Not that it's hard to do. Just make sure to hit esc frist. :q! to not save,
>and ZZ to save and quit.(shift + z shift + z)

I wasn't having a pop at vi, just noting that an unfamiliar user
(who might not even be aware of virtual terminals) might end up
having to hard-boot their entire machine following an instruction
to use vi to view a file.

(it's not that long ago I had to go to another terminal, ps -ef
and then kill a vi process because i couldn't figure out how to
make it let go)

If you don't already know how to get out of a vi session BEFORE
you get into it then you can get badly stuck.

I suppose the best instruction would be:

$pager README

if you have to tell someone how to view a file, then telling them to
use vi (without instructions for getting out) is well-meaning but
perhaps a little counterproductive)