Mobile Networking Setup Ques

Aloha all;

Is it possible for me to setup my laptop to 'know' what network its
connected to and run scripts based on that ?

For example, at work they use dhcp and at home my address is
static. At work I manually 'pump' for an IP and at home I have to run
ifup on the interface an d then manually edit resolve.conf ( which has
been previously been set via dhcp at work ).

Can somebody point me in the right direction for doing this ? Can it
be done with somesort of broadcast ping ? Is there a package that will
help with this sort of configuration ?

Many thanks;

  -- mallum