Re: Getting php4 to work on potato?

Stan Brown wrote:

On Sun Nov 25 14:11:55 2001 Antti Tolamo wrote...

Stan Brown wrote:

I'm having a bit of a problem geting php4 to work on my stable + Progeny +
2.4 kernel machine.

I have apache installed and woorking from a .deb package. I downloaded and
compiled php 4.0.6, and all went well. I uncometed thet AddType lines in
the default /etc/apache/httpd.conf file, and I copied php-ini.dist to
/usr/local/lib/php.ini (is this correct for Debian?) I did not edit this
file (should I have?). I stoped and restarted apache.

I had already created a directory for webvcr, which in theroy should have
working .php files. However when I point my browser to the .php file, it
just offers to downladit.

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like Apache doesn't  recognize PHP at all.

Either it is defined inccorrectly in apache conf files
, you don't have PHP installed or Apache doesn't
recognize it for some other reasons.

I had similar problem, but it was corrected by
adding right   php definions to files httpd.conf.
and mime.type. I'm not sure what apache
you're using, but in stable apache packages those
files are created and used. However, far as I know they're
only used in Debian.

Since PHP was installed as a module to apache, I also checked  at
httpd.con was the PHP4 enabled after installation from Debian package.
It wasn't and I uncommented the module
in there.

My present thought is that I have not compiled php4 coreclty. It appears
that I may have needed to secify i path to something called "apxs". Problem
is I don't seem to have any such thing on my system.

Also, I have modifed httpd.conf, but not mime.types. What needs to go in
there for php4?

I'm no expert with Apache or PHP. put below is what
I've got to work with potato+apache+PHP4. To
clarify a bit PHP4 works with my server  by .php and .php3 extensions,
so some definiton file besides httpd.conf must make it possible:

httpd.conf:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

mime.types:

application/x-httpd-php php php3
application/x-httpd-php-source phps

srm.conf:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3

Antti