Re: Getting php4 to work on potato?

On Sun Nov 25 14:11:55 2001 Antti Tolamo wrote...

>Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> I'm having a bit of a problem geting php4 to work on my stable + Progeny +
>> 2.4 kernel machine.
>>
>> I have apache installed and woorking from a .deb package. I downloaded and
>> compiled php 4.0.6, and all went well. I uncometed thet AddType lines in
>> the default /etc/apache/httpd.conf file, and I copied php-ini.dist to
>> /usr/local/lib/php.ini (is this correct for Debian?) I did not edit this
>> file (should I have?). I stoped and restarted apache.
>>
>> I had already created a directory for webvcr, which in theroy should have
>> working .php files. However when I point my browser to the .php file, it
>> just offers to downladit.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>

>Sounds like Apache doesn't  recognize PHP at all.
>
>Either it is defined inccorrectly in apache conf files
>, you don't have PHP installed or Apache doesn't
>recognize it for some other reasons.
>
>I had similar problem, but it was corrected by
>adding right   php definions to files httpd.conf.
>and mime.type. I'm not sure what apache
>you're using, but in stable apache packages those
>files are created and used. However, far as I know they're
>only used in Debian.
>
>Since PHP was installed as a module to apache, I also checked  at
>httpd.con was the PHP4 enabled after installation from Debian package.
>It wasn't and I uncommented the module
>in there.

My present thought is that I have not compiled php4 coreclty. It appears
that I may have needed to secify i path to something called "apxs". Problem
is I don't seem to have any such thing on my system.

Also, I have modifed httpd.conf, but not mime.types. What needs to go in
there for php4?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.