Re: Virus incident

Hi Brian

, On 23-Nov-01, you wrote:

> So you're saying newbie questions are appropriate...

Of course they are, weren't you a newbie once? or were you born a genius? ;-P

> But no one wants to read newbie questions.  So why are they
> appropriate if no one wants to read them?

So now you are the spokesman for all the members of this list? I don't think
so.

> Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with newbies banding
> together and trying to answer each other's questions.  Sounds like it
> would be a great learning experience.

That is utter nonsence, if they did that how would they progress with problems
that were beyond their current experience? I though the whole idea of a list
was to HELP.

> Newbies are nothing more than impatient learners.  I don't understand
> why it's so important to help them on this list.  I think it's more
> helpful to not help them, just point them toward the docs and let them
> help themselves.  It will make for a far better Debian experience for
> them in the long run.

I am a relative newbie, and I dont think you'll find many posts from me
moaning that I cant do something, though of course I have posted questions,
and had invaluable replies from folks who do like to help out. And I suspect
that there are other who are the same.

Your attitude is I think not shared by many, though I do know someone on
another list who has this same type of holier than thou attitude.

> Besides, those Outlook attributions are so god damn annoying.  They
> polute the list and make my eyes hurt.

Don't you read them as plain text, or dont you know how too.

If someone has just joined this list looking for support I think your comments
could give them the impression that all are like you, thankfully they are
not.

Oh yeh, the tagline is random.

Regards
--
John

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein
mail: chaos@lamiga.screaming.net http://www.lordofchaos.co.uk ICQ 110130385
Nick = Chaos A1200 BlizzardPPC 240mhz 060/50 BlizzardVision OS3.9