Re: /bin/sh broken - now what?

on Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 02:22:13AM +0100, A.R. (Tom) Peters (tpeters@xs4all.nl) wrote:
> I tried to install the G77 compiler, and got the latest stuff from
> testing.  It required a newer version of libc6 (2.2.4-5), which got
> installed first.  Then all subsequent packages failed.  I cannot open a
> shell anymore:
>
> /bin/sh: relocation error: /bin/sh: undefined symbol: history_max_entries
>
> Existing shells still work, but this situation paralyzes just about
> anything, including apt.  What can I do?

Sounds like you might have tweaked some libs.

Do you have sash installed?  This is the Stand Alone Shell -- it has no
dynamic library deps and builds-in a bunch of basic utilities (names are
prefixed with a '-', e.g.:  -ls).  Very helpful when you've fried your
system, particularly libraries, or for running from a known trusted
floppy on a compromised box.  The linker utilities (ld, ldd) aren't
included, but you might use these.  You're looking for libraries which
have changed, are corrupted, or have been deleted.  I think.

Peace.