Re: Don't use kernel 2.4.15/2.5.0 (fs corruption)

On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 00:08, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> I've seen some people here talking about the new 2.4.15/2.5.0 kernel.
> Please, don't use it. It'll cause some corruption on your filesystem
> when unmounting filesystems.

My optimism that 2.4.15 would finally be a good release was obviously
misplaced ("I have great hopes that 2.4.15 will be the first solid
release in a while and will compile without problems.")

A 2.4.16 kernel will very shortly be released. The new 2.4 kernel
maintainer, Marcelo Tosatti, states:

   So here it goes 2.4.16-pre1. Obviously the most important fix is the
   iput() one, which probably fixes the filesystem corruption problem people
   have been seeing.

   Please, people who have been experiencing the fs corruption problems test
   this and tell me its now working so I can release a final 2.4.16 ASAP.

   - Correctly sync inodes in iput()			(Alexander Viro)
   - Make pagecache readahead size tunable via /proc	(was in -ac tree)
   - Fix PPC kernel compilation problems			(Paul Mackerras)

   ftp.xx.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/marcelo/2.4/testing/

I had rebooted multiple times trying to fix a halt problem. Everything
seems OK but it looks like I can't risk running reiserfsck anyway. I'm
probably going to have to wait until reiserfsck is improved. This is the
current message when running reiserfsck in fix mode:

   reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/xxx

   <-------------reiserfsck, 2001------------->
   reiserfsprogs 3.x.0j

   This is an experimental version of reiserfsck, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!
   Don't run this program unless something is broken.
   Some types of random FS damage can be recovered
   from by this program, which basically throws away the internal nodes
   of the tree and then reconstructs them.  This program is for use only
   by the desperate, and is of only beta quality.  Email
   reiserfs@devlinux.com with bug reports.
   Will rebuild the filesystem tree
   Will put log info to 'stderr'
   Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes):

Would you risk running it? (rhetorical question alert)

Regards,
Adam