Re: mailsync - is it working for somebody?

jan@tomasek.cz writes:

> Hi,
> I need to synchronize my IMAP folder tree on my workstation with my
> notebook. I need both side synchronization. At first look is this tool
> exactly what I need, but:
>  1) it duplicate mails in folders
>  2) it download only some emails from source
>  3) it removes new flag
>
> 1) and 2) are realy fatal ;) I did some tests on Thuesday and find only
> problem 3) I wrote about it to Tim Culver, but he didn't reply
>
> I'm runing imapd from Pine 4.33, mailsync is 4.1-4 I'm running sid. This
> is my configuration:

<snip>

> Only one mbox for synchronization. I realy can't see what I'm doing wrong.>

Looks fine to me.

> Is somebody using this? Or is it just another dead/halfdone tool? Does
> somebody known about something other? Thanks for any help.

I used mailsync for a little while, but I found it to be pretty
half-baked.   If you have access to the filesystem on your
workstation, which I assume you do, I think rsync would work much
better.

Install rsync on both computers, and then a command resembling:

rsync --archive --verbose workstation:"~/Mail" ~/

should do what you want.  It would mirror an exact copy of your
mailbox files, keeping the flags and stuff in place, and would be more
efficient than a scp.

If you wish to synchronize both ways, throw in an "--update" flag and
do another rsync with the host and destination swapped.

Also, I recommend going over ssh:
export RSYNC_RSH="ssh"

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>