Re: When a server goes down....

Keith OConnell said:

> What I want to know is how to break and remount the NFS directories
> from the workstations once the server is back up. So far the only
> thing I can do is to reboot each workstation, and I am sure that
> there must be a better way than that!

try mounting with the option of "soft". i have tested nfs
a lot and it works fine with rebooting. i had a system
playing mp3s off of a nfs share, reboot the server, mp3
player runs out of buffer and stalls..about 30 seconds after
the buffer runs out the server comes back up and the song
plays from where it left off without a hiccup.

in the background i see a buncha nfs unreachable errors
but they are only soft. the system will retry for as long
as it takes to re establish the link.

nate