Samba printing problem

Hello,

I am trying to print from a laptop to my desktop (printer is connected to the desktop) printer using Samba, but although the laptop appears to send the print job to the desktop normally, the printer does not print and my samba log has this:

[2001/11/23 18:37:35, 0] printing/printing.c:print_job_start(927)
print_job_start: insufficient permissions to open spool file /var/spool/lpd/stylus740/smbprn.000006.5Rr9Xq.

I made user pollywog a member of the group "lpd" but this did not help. I did not reboot the desktop after doing that because I don't believe that is necessary. Anyone know what the problem is here? I DID search the list archives for the past year's posts but I found nothing.

thanks

--
Andrew