Re: Debian TVIO like PVR

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:38:40AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> I would like to build a TVIO like Personal Video Recorder using a Debian
> Linux machine.
>
> What hardware (in addition to the basic computer) will I need? WinTV card?
> Special Video car dor TV out?

You will need a supported TV tuner card.  IMO, the picture qualuty of
the WinTV cards is mediocre at best and they do not have hardware
compression.  If you want to do this "properly" with performance
comparable to that of a TiVo, you'll have to spend a little $$$.

Also keep in mind that you want to be able to output to a TV, you need a
video card with TV out.  If you want it to be controlled with an
IR remote, there's another expense on top of the software requirements.

> Obviosly I will need a failry fast machine, I'm Planing somehting like a
> 1.2GHZ Athalon, and lots (40 -> 120G) of disk space. I would like to use
> IDE disks, if they are fast enough.

Personally, I would look at a Promise IDE RAID controller and two 40GB
(or larger) disks striped (RAID0) together for performance.

> What software packages do I need?

As near as I can tell, last time I investigated this, there were
software packages to get one started down the right track, but nothing
that ties all of the components together.  For example, once you have
everything working, you still don't have a good UI for something that
will ultimately displayed on a television and controlled with a remote
control.

> Is there a HOWTO obd.or other docs on this?n this?

None to my knowledge, but I may be out of date.

Mike.