Re: Debian TVIO like PVR

On Friday 23 November 2001 07:38 am, Stan Brown wrote:
> What hardware (in addition to the basic computer) will I need? WinTV card?
> Special Video car dor TV out?
>
> Obviosly I will need a failry fast machine, I'm Planing somehting like a
> 1.2GHZ Athalon, and lots (40 -> 120G) of disk space. I would like to use
> IDE disks, if they are fast enough.
>
> What software packages do I need?

There's a package over at sourceforge that may be of interest to you:

http://dvr.sourceforge.net

I haven't used it, but it's listed as "5-production/stable" and has some
screenshots to look at.

There's also the LinuxTV project, which is worth a look:

http://linuxtv.org

Regarding IDE disks, my TiVo uses 5400RPM IDE disks, so I would assume that's
plenty fast.  (I would look at the new Seagate Barracuda IV drives, simply
because they run at 2 bels and are quieter than any other IDE drive out on
the market place)

Also, assuming you get a capture card that does onboard encoding, you may not
need such a fast computer since it will simply be a file server at that point.

Please let us know how this project goes -- I'd be interested in a project
summary once you have it up and running.

--kurt