Re: S3 Savage4

Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira said:

> 	Hi all,
> 	I installed Debian Potato in a AMD Duron 800 Mhz and xserver-svga
> 	and related packages. I did a SuperProbe command and the following
> 	returned:
>
> First video: Super-VGA
> 	Chipset: S3 Savage4 (PCI Probed)

X4 probably has much better support. i used savage 4 on
X3 and it was iffy(this was almost 2 years ago though).
if you want to use X3 you probably have to find a special
X server for it, they should be available. just run a search
for savage4 and linux and you'll come up with a buncha
stuff. as for where to find x4 for potato, you'll have
to run a search for that too (Xfree86 4 and potato).
the official X developer(s) for debian used to offer
it but last time i checked it was nowhere to be found.
i used it once or twice earlier in the year it worked
ok. only minor issues with package dependencies thinking
they needed a specific version of the X libs when they
worked fine with the newer ones.

i posted a url to the list not too long ago that
had X4 for potato. don't know if its the same one
i used earlier in the year so i can't offer much
advice on it once you try to use it.

so search on the net, or search the archives spceifically
and you should find the url pretty quick. the last
person to post i ran a search and within 5 minutes
i had a url.

if it was my system i would probably try to track down
the X3 binary server first, see how it runs, if it
has problems try X4. if you still have problems then
you may want to try to upgrade to "woody" debian's
testing tree.

nate