Re: Potato->Woody Upgrade: Removed Package

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:06:38PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
-snip-
> > <-- dist-upgrade OUTPUT -->
> > Reading Package Lists...
> > Building Dependency Tree...
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   data-dumper gnucash kbd modconf modutils perl-5.005
> > sysvinit util-linux
> >   xcontrib xemacs20-nomule xmailtool xmanpages xpm4g
> <snip>
> > WARNING: The following essential packages will be
> > removed
> > This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what
> > you are doing!
> >   sysvinit util-linux (due to sysvinit)
> > 421 packages upgraded, 79 newly installed, 13 to
> > remove and 2 not upgraded.
> > <-- dist-upgrade OUTPUT -->
> >
> > there is a warning that sysvinit and util-linux will
> > be removed.  is this to suppose to happen?
>
> No, that's not supposed to happen.  Those are both Priority:
> Required/Essential: Yes.
>
> I'd try upgrading the important stuff individually first, like dpkg,
> apt, debconf, libc6, and whatever else I left out before doing a
> dist-upgrade.  Or, try dselect and see if it gives a better clue of
> why dpkg wants to remove that stuff.

i did the upgrade yesterday, and along the lines of brian's suggestion,
this worked for me:

1) change apt sources to point to woody
2) apt-get update
3) apt-get -u install apt apt-utils dpkg debconf perl
4) apt-get -u dist-upgrade

worked very well. i did have to do a little postinstall massaging
(missing symlink from /etc/X11/X to my server) but that was it.

good luck.
--
Serge Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.