passwd using pam_ldap problem

Hello,

I have just migrated our authentication in the local network to ldap
using pam_ldap from padl.com, but I'm facing a problem with passwd.

The problem is that when trying to change some user's password with
passwd, it ask for the said user's _old_ password, which is certainly
not what is expected (I expect it to work as it did with traditional
unix authentication where it doesn't ask for the old password).

Any ideas why this may be happening and what to do to solve it?

TIA

Jorge Santos