Re: WTF: bug uses ee

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 05:31:49AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   How come bug program uses ee?
>
> It doesn't. 'update-alternatives --config editor'.

  right. the question morphs - how come ee has higher priority than vim
(or any other vi clone)? The least surprising (this is linux) editor is
some vi clone... (you get ee, there's no way to tell it's ee, there's no
way to figure out how to save & quit (or quit without saving) - you get
worst of all worlds)

> > the web page says that joe will be used if neither VISUAL nor EDITOR
> > variables are set.
>
> The man page (I think that's what you meant?) is wrong. /usr/bin/editor

  yes, man page, I guess it's too late (or too early, hard to tell at
this point)

> is used, and what that points to is configurable by the system
> administrator.
>
> Chances are you removed a package that provided the editor alternative
> and which used to be the default, and ee was the highest-priority one
> left.

  probably, even though I am not sure how that happened... (maybe I
removed nvi)

  thanks,

	erik