problem: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed

  I have noticed few times during last days that sometime system runs
out of memory (always when I am not nearby) and kills a program or two
and then everything's fine (it kills different programs each time so I
am pretty sure the killed program is not the one that causes problems)

  here's the message in /var/log/syslog (irrelevant messages before and
after):

Nov 22 04:34:19 localhost kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation
failed (gfp=0x1d2/0) from c0127d7e
Nov 22 04:34:24 localhost kernel: VM: killing process XFree86

  usually it kills more programs, system services (cron) etc... I have
few question related to this problem:

  - is it possible it's kernel problem? I haven't heard anything too
weird about 2.4.10

  - how can I find (post mortem) which program caused the problem?

  - how does kernel decide which programs to kill? is there any way to
influence it? I would rather have netscape (usually a memory hog) killed
than system services (like samba daemons, cron, nfs daemons etc.)

  my system:

    debian unstable
    kernel 2.4.10
    X 4.1.0.1

  usually running:

    netscape & mozilla
    xmms
    few xterms
    fvwm, gkrellm, chbg

  memory usage now (without reboot, after the above mentioned problem),
this is how it looks most of the time

jojda:/home/erik# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        385472     358020      27452          0      12624
244264
-/+ buffers/cache:     101132     284340
Swap:       243104      55984     187120

  related incident: I have quite a few mp3 files and I noticed that when
I sort playlist in xmms by song name it eats all available memory (and
does the same after I restart it, I didn't even find any relevant
setting in config file but when I remove it problem goes away). I have't
tried it before so I don't know whether it's new problem or old one (I
haven't find anything similar on xmms or debian page so I filed a bug
report)

  any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?

  TIA!

	erik

	erik