Re: pppconfig still not working

Frank Zimmermann wrote:

> Softmodems are quite often called winmodems. Don't really know how
> they work but the software somehow emulates a modem.
> Do you still have Win running on this machine? Then you could easily
> find out what modem you have. Otherwise you might have a look at the
> vendors homepage or open your machine and have a look.
> Then try to find out wether your modem is supported by Linux. Good
> starting points for this http://www.google.com/linux, the Suse
> Hardwaredatabase at http://cdb.suse.de or http://www.linmodems.org .
>
> Frank
> --

Got this problem at least partially solved. Do indeed have a blasted
winmodem on the machine. While http://linmodems.org seems to have a link
to a suitable driver I can't get hold of it. BUT I did manage to get a
Maxtech PCMICA modem working just great. The only problem with it left
is that I get denied permission to pppd unless I'm logged in as root. I
added usernames under advanced options in pppconfig, and they're
certainly sitting in the appropriate place in the file vigr, so what's
missing?

--
srt