Re: pppconfig still not working

Frank Zimmermann wrote:

Frank,

Thanks for trying to help. I have no idea what modem it is to be honest.
What is a softmodem? It's just the internal modem that came with the
machine (an ASUS L8400). I don't even know if the Debian partition
recognises that it exists - there must be a way to check this and fix it
if necessary.... and the Windows partition ought to be able to tell me
something about the modem. I have the modem set to ttyS2 manually.
Thanks,
Simon.

--
srt

Softmodems are quite often called winmodems. Don't really know how they work but the software somehow emulates a modem. Do you still have Win running on this machine? Then you could easily find out what modem you have. Otherwise you might have a look at the vendors homepage or open your machine and have a look. Then try to find out wether your modem is supported by Linux. Good starting points for this http://www.google.com/linux, the Suse Hardwaredatabase at http://cdb.suse.de or http://www.linmodems.org .

Frank