Re: WinTV cards (which one ?)

Stan Brown said:
> I'm building a new machine for my wife, for Christmas. She has made
> a specifc request for TV on it.
>
> I have a WinTV card in my machine, and it works OK. I went looking
> to buy one ofr hers and found out that they come in a variety of
> proces.
>
> Which ones are best supported under Debina? I see everything from a
> WinTV Go for $49 to a WinTV persona Video Recorder for $199. What
> extra features does teh PVR model have?

i use the wintv go on one system, it runs X in 640x480 and
the ~/.xinitrc just calls xawtv. i hook a keyboard to it, press
F (fullscreen) unhook the keyboard and it runs forever(sofar
~250 days). kernel 2.2.18, using the drivers that are not
in the kernel.

another system has a higher end wintv card(forgot the model)
but it has composite inputs which is nice, if the driver worked
with them, i tried all 73 variations of the driver on my
card and none could work with composite. otherwise its a fine
card too. the PVR one is probably the same as the normal
just with special software to do (its becomming a common term)
tivo-like functions(i love my tivo but hate that new !(#! lexus ad).
so most likely your just paying for the software that you won't use.

as the first paragraph states its supported very well in
debian. the drivers you should get from the official bttv homepage,
as the ones in the kernel are very old and buggy. but its startup &
run forever .......can't get more stable then that! even X runs
forever, amazing how stable X is when only 1 app runs. no memory leak,
no crash nothing. compared to ~50-100 apps opening closingdaily theres a huge difference. the machine i use for tv is only a
p200mmx with 64MB. it doubles as web/ftp/imap/pop3/smtp server for
some people too.
i even moved the machine twice, kept it on the UPS the whole
time never had to power off :/ i had originally intended that
p200 for the scrap heap(my next lowest end system would be either
a p3-800/1GB or dual p2-450/1GB). but i replaced the ATX case with
one from pc power and cooling, replaced the power supply, added good
hd coolers and i think its good for another few years..amazing.
nate