Re: Best debian for me

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 18:02, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am probably going to repartition my hard drive and after being a satisfied
> Debian 2.2r2 user I am going to do a clean install. I was wanting the
> following things in my new setup:
>
> 	GCC >= 3.0
> 	XFree86 >= 4.0
> 	Linux kernel >=2.4.0
> 	ReiserFS (instead of ext2 for my main partition ie I want format and install
> onto a ReiserFS so this requires a boot disk supporting ReiserFS)
> 	Recent KDE
>
> I would like my system to be as stable as possible and have a clear upgrade
> path in the future.
>
> 	With this is mind could someone advise me on what would be the best version
> of Debian to use. It looks suspicially like testing might be the best to be
> using but how unstable is that?
>
> 	Note: I am a relatively experience linux user / programmer who wants an easy
> as possible install but doesn't mind getting his handing dirty.

Aaagh. I just composed the reply and then closed Evolution before
sending or saving as a Draft. Here's the abbreviated version:

Easy install:

ReiserFS boot disks:
http://www.digitaltux.com/

This makes installing ReiserFS on / dead easy.

If you want to stay with stable Adrian Bunk has a solution for 2.4
kernels:
http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

Since you want the latest software you might want to consider
`unstable'. Being an experienced user you'll be able to deal with
problems (e.g. if you need to downgrade a package). And it's more secure
than testing.*

If you do upgrade remember to do it in two steps. First add testing to
your sources.list and then do an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
-u

Repeat for unstable if you want to upgrade to the latest software.

Regards,
Adam

*The lag for packages to make their way into testing from unstable is
eliminated. So most security fixes will make their way into unstable
faster than testing.