XFree86 Configuration - Modelines

I'm trying to Get XFree86 configured. I've used xf86config and XF86Setup
the former being more complete with regard to Video and Modelines and the
Latter with its graphic interface allowed me to find my mouse.

Problem:
My display only runs "320x200"  completely non-functional on a 17" Monitor.
 I'm trying t correct the situation by adding the correct modelnes.  My
monitor will report the Vsync and Hsync rates in the various dpi modes.
(got them from windows on my dual boot machine -- yes I'm a newbie trying
to figure out linux on an old machine) I got my clock speed with -probeonly
but does the clock speed change (clock speed is the first argument on
modeline after the screen resolution?)

Am I on the right path or barking up the wrong tree?