Re: dhcp-client help (more information)

On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 14:03, D. wrote:
>  Hi all,
>    I have installed dhcp-client.
>    My /etc/network/interfaces is:
>  auto lo
>  iface lo inet loopback
>  iface eth0 inet dhcp
>    I have made the files in /etc/network/ifup and
>  ifdown and they each have in them eth0.  I have a
>  /var/dhcp/dhclient.leases.  The /etc/resolv.conf is
>  there and once I get connected it is right.
>    My problem is that my system will not get a ip
>  address by itself.  I have DHCP at work and home.
>    I have to do dhclient eth0 to get connected.
>    I have searched everywhere that I can think of for
>  a  answer, to no avail.
>    What am I missing, any and all help is
>  appreciated.
>  Thanks
>  Don
> Here is some more information that you might need.
>   I'm running Woody using a 2.4.12 kernel.  When I log
> in and out I see this message also: xfsdevice eth0
> entered promiscuous mode, and the device eth0 left
> promiscuous mode.
> Don

I think adding auto eth0 into your network interfaces file before the
iface eth0 stanza should bring it up automatically for you.

I'm confused as to what you did when you say you made "the files in
/etc/network/ifup" and so forth.  You don't need anything else other
than the dhcp directive in interfaces.  The command ifup eth0 will work
if you don't want to do this automatically.  Not sure about your
promiscuous mode messages, this would indicate somewhere in your startup
scripts on the system /etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc or something in a
user directory is setting eth0 into promiscuous mode look around for
something like snort, or an ifconfig eth0 up promisc or something.

--mike