Re: Re: Ext3fs and fsck

Anthony Campbell wrote:

>Or should I issue tune2fs commands
>(with appropriate time or mount switches) and change /etc/fstab in >some way? If so, how?

When you modify your /etc/fstab, you'll sacrifice either backward
compatibility to ext2 (if you change the fs type), or as Alan
mentions, the ability of the system to check itself before something
goes haywire.

You have a choice then. Either change it (but lose backward
compatibility with ext2. which means that if you accidentally
delete the .journal file, say bye bye) or maintain it as it is
(which might give you some peace of mind by not needing to
retouch anything anymore on /etc/fstab)

Better do what Alan recommends: change the intervals for the checks.
He mentions a good point that the system can check for possible
errors if you enable checking of the file system on its maximum
mount count. apparently, you can also check them at your specified
time (either via a script or via tune2fs)

Don't mind my post to change the last column to 0 in the fs entry in
/etc/fstab. Alan has made a good point (as well as the manpages and
the URL) that it's good for your FS' safety.

I statically state the fs type in my fstab, for I don't rely on
the kernel to automatically check what fs it is to mount.

>What is the purpose of the /forcefsck file that is suggested, and >what commands is it supposed to contain?

The system will look for it in the absence of maximum mount check.
Kinda of making you not to forget to check your system. But the
docs aren't really clear on this, as shutting down would check
on this file. Too confusing...