logging out users

How do you logout "leftover" sessions? For example, I
ssh'd into my debian box, the connection went down
because of line problems, and when I log back in the
old session is still there. I don't know how to kill
it. This happened a couple of times, so in one case I
killed the the ssh pid thinking that would take care
of it, but now I have an "orphaned" login. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks.

Richard