working icq client for debian?

Hi,

I am looking for a working ICQ client in debian. gnomicu (which i have
been using till now) does not work well together with the new icq
servers. they are working on implementing the new (v7 or so) protocol,
but it might take some time until they are done.

I have heard rumors that gaim supports the new icq protocl, but when i
start it up, i get to the logon screen and am promted for a AOL IM user
name + password (which i do not have). Does anybody know how to setup
gaim to work as an ICQ messenger?

Or is there some other icq client in debian that supports the new
protocol?

tia,
Andreas