debian-user: exim to ISP setup

I have a few users on a LAN connected to an ISP via a permanent dial up connection. Some messages with large attachments never get through to a user is the USA (I'm in Australia). I'm thinking that there may be some outs coming into play due to the slow dial up connection. I assume the exim mail agent is talking directly to the SMTP server in the USA. What I would prefer to do is send the email to my ISPs SMTP server and have it forward it on to the USA user. This should help dramatically if it is a time out problem and seems a smarter thing to do in general.

I've read the exim docs and configuration file but can't see how to configure this. Can this be done and how do I do it ???

Thanks for any help or pointers,
Brendan Simon.