Re: floppy install on 486dx/33 w/ no CDROM

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:34:55PM -0800, Chris Nestor wrote:
> I'm trying to do an install on a 486dx/33 w/ no CDROM, using 3.5" floppies.  I did a rawrite2 of resc1440.bin to boot and repartition.  When it came time for the kernel
> install, I can't find the requisite files.  It asks for a rescue floppy, which I thought this was, but the installer is asking for other media.  I have read of a drivers floppy (drv1440.bin) and some base file floppies (base14-1.bin, ...14-2.bin, etc. on thru 14-7.bin), but can't find them on the CD which accompanied the O'Reilly GNU/Linux book I picked up.  This is kernel 2.0.36, which I realize is kinda old, but so is my system.  I just want a dedicated linux box that I can poke around on and get command happy, and all for now.

I installed my first Debian (2.1) with floppies back in 1999.

The drivers floppy contains kernel-modules that you may or may not need,
depending on your hardware. Get it.

The base floppies contains the most essential files in a Debian GNU/Linux
system. Get them.

> I went to the Debian.org site, tried an ftp site, but got messages saying I didn't have "permission".

The number of base floppies (7) and the kernel version (2.0.36) indicates
that you are trying to install Debian 2.1 (slink), but the standard mirrors
don't keep slink anymore, and the archives (for info on the archives see
http://www.debian.org/distrib/archive), do not respond (they never
do for me, it seems).

But there is still hope, I found slink still alive at

http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/2.1.12-1999-12-09/

> I guess I could go and get a CDROM and try an install that way, but don't think the BIOS is up to that (AMI circa 1993).

For installing the rest of the programs you want, that might be a good
idea, but there are other means to get them into your box, ppp or ethernet
comes to mind.

good luck,

Hans Ekbrand