RE: MySQL How-tos?

YAre you using php3 or php4?  Either way, irm using file extensions like
'php3' instead of just 'php', complicating things.  You need to tell
apache about index.php3 files (see httpd.conf) otherwise creation of the
database etc. is pretty straightforward and in the docs with irm.

Is php working?  Try installing phpmyadmin, it works right awawy if
you're using testing (potato takes some tweaking IIRC).  That will let
you know if your setup is working. All that said, IRM can be a real pain
to set up.