Re: [root@dimension11.net: Cron <news@bainbridge01> rnews -U]

Eric Brooks wrote:

> Thanks very much for your respone.
>
> I did look at inn.conf but did not understand what it was trying to do. I felt that the problem was deeper than I could see just looking at the conf file.  First off I didn't understand why rnews was being called at all. Then I didn't understand why it couldn't find the server (or even what server it was looking for -- the machine I'm running on or a news server).  A lot of questions in my mind.

  if you don't need it you can just uninstall it and the problem is
solved, sort of.

> I found that rnews is being called by Cron because the file /etc/cron.d/inn2 references it.
>
> That was the easy part.  Now I'm working through the rnews man page to figure out which server it is looking for and why it can't find it.  I suspect that my machine's hostname and dnsdomain are wrong-- which was really at the heart of my question, though not stated.
>
> I'm going to look at how my /etc/host.conf, /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, and /etc/hosts.deny work together and what they impact.

  try: ping `hostname` (it should work)

  it looks like it's looking for your hostname and it cannot get numeric
ip from hostname. the other possibility is that it cannot find nntp
server. there should be some option for setting your hostname and
domain. I don't use that package so that's all I can tell...

	erik