not-quite-trivial 'repeat' problem since upgrade

Hi,

Sorry 'bout the vague subject line - I'm tired from watcing the Leonids last night.

The problem I'm having (I can only guess a recent upgrade did it) is that in order to repeat-backspace -- or left/right/up/down arrow -- I have to press the particular key x number of times, rather than just hold it down.

Which cd lead to carpal tunnel over time ... I'm on a mostly-testing box with some unstable apps.

I checked in xkeycaps, which shows anyway that 'autorepeat' (the function I'd guuess would need to be true for this to work) is ON for all five of those keys. Is anyone else having this problem, or know how it could be resolved? Maybe I just need to better learn my key-commands?

Thanks in advance

Glenn