Recording externaly sourced sound?

I want to be able to play on my laptop some music that I have on LP's,
cassettes ect only.

First step seems to be to get this sound converted to digita, right.

So, I hooked up the tape output of my preamp to the line in on my sound
card. Music came out of the computer speakers. This looked good. So I did:

cat < /dev/dsp > sounfile

But when I trued to play this back with:

cat < soundfile > /dev/dsp

I did not get anything out.

What am I doing wrong?

--