Re: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than ...

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:38:30PM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> >
> >         I have been getting this message on bootup
> >
> > Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
> >
> > When I check, both have the same creation time.  After searching on geocrawler I found a post
> > where someone put the all the subdirectories of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ in /etc/modutils/paths.
> > Here is what mine looks like and the message is still coming up.
> >
> > # This file contains a list of paths that modprobe should scan,
> > # beside the once that are compiled into the modutils tools
> > # themselves.
> > path[fs]=/lib/modules/2.2.20/fs
> > path[misc]=/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc
> > path[net]=/lib/modules/2.2.20/net
> >
> > Any other suggestions or is this nothing to worry about?
>
>   it will probably go away. I had the same problem several times (and
> seen the same discussion with no solution) on this list. It looks like
> there's nothing you can do about it, nothing helps (update-modules,
> depmod -a etc.), but it goes away after few boots (after some time). I
> still have no idea what's wrong, but somehow one of the files involved
> is being updated during boot (or at least it gets new date, possibly by
> tough or something), I forgot which one (I guess it's
> /etc/modules.conf).
>
> 	erik

	After just upgrading all my packages in main( I'm running Sid) I noticed that modutils was
upgraded.  Hoping that this might get rid of the message, I rebooted after everything installed.
Unfortunately the message still popped up.  Here's where it gets wierd.  Rebooting this morning
shows no message.  It's gone.  I'm going to look into modutils and see what is causing this
strange behavior.  It doesn't affect the way the system runs, but it is to reminiscent of a
Windows type bug where you have to keep rebooting until it goes away ;)

Ian

--
FreeSoftware Developer
Registered GNU/Linux user 239985