Re: XF86 4.1 on potato

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:10:30PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> Which implies a kernel issue ... if that's the case, you can install
> Adrian Bunk's 2.4 kernel packages for potato (URL in another recent
> thread).

Good deduction, but wrong.  I did use Adrian Bunk's much-appreciated
packages to upgrade this potato system to 2.4, which worked flawlessly.  (If
you're reading this, Adrian, thanks.)

Problem is, I need Xfree86 4.10 to use my on-motherboard video chipset
(savage4).  I don't see any way to upgrade potato to X 4.1 (the original
topic of this thread, after all).  Anyway, using unofficial stuff like
Adrian's, while probably preferable to upgrading the whole distribution,
still isn't as desirable as using "stable".

Why is SPI so against frequent, less-dramatically-different releases,
anyway?

Note:  I'm posting this to Debian-Policy as well as Debian-User, and suggest
further discussion take place there.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum