Quake 2 can't "fall back to software refresh"

Hi, I'm trying to run Quake 2 in Debian 2.4.5. I installed it and a new
version of libc5 to satisfy its need for libm.so.5 and such other libs. I
moved quake2.conf to /etc. I put the files in /usr/local/games/quake2 and I
put a copy of all the libs in /lib, /usr/lib, and /usr/local/lib, but it
keeps saying it can't load ref_softx.so even though it's in ALL those places.
I had it working a while ago on Debian, and now it won't run.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
 Deven Gallo