Re: Mozilla not sending email

David P James <dpjames@home.com> writes:

> On Friday 16 November 2001 15:53, David P James wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I just started using mozilla today after getting a little tired of
> > Netscape's quirks (scroll wheel problems in particular). The amount of
> > configuration in Mozilla is a vast improvement. Anyway, I can't seem to be
> > able to send any email with mozilla's email client. It keeps giving me an
> > error message telling me to verify my settings or that the server is down.
> > Well if you're seeing this the latter is definitely not true and I've used
> > the same settings as here in KMail. I even tried throwing smtp:// ahead of
> > the server name, to no effect. I tried a different known server and the
> > same thing happened. I'm using mozilla from unstable, 0.9.5.

Are you sure this is a problem with the debian mozilla package? I
suggest downloading 0.9.5 from ftp.mozilla.org and making sure it
doesn't have the problem before assuming it's a debian bug. Using the
builds from mozilla isn't hard... I suggest you download a tarball, then
you just unpack it in your home directory and run the start script
(./mozilla in the base directory of the tree you just unpacked. Most
everything it needs is included in the tarball).

If you still see the problem after doing this, it's most likely a bug in
mozilla (it's still got some :-) In this case, you should download a
current nightly to see if the bug has been fixed and, if not, file a new
bug on bugzilla.mozilla.org after searching the bug database and release
notes (http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla0.9.5/) to make sure it's
not a known problem.
OTOH, if you only see the problem with the debian package, it's almost
certainly a debian-only bug and should be filed in the debian bug
database.

Finally, I have had problems sending mail with mozilla but this was
because I was trying to send it through my ISP's mail server from work
and my ISP appears to check the ip address that the message is being
sent from and refuses to send it if it isn't from an IP that it owns
(to prevent spam, I assume). This, however, was a while back and I no
longer use mozilla for e-mail, having recently switched to gnus.

HTH