Re: emacs related

Lo, on Friday, November 16, Michael P. Soulier did write:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 07:56:37PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Jeffrin wrote:
> >
> > I think you want auto-fill-mode. You may also want to look at some of
> > the Emacs Lisp variables having to do with auto-formatting, such as
> > sentence-end and sentence-end-double-space.
>
> Does anyone know how to manage tabs properly in text mode? I hit the
> tab in various places, and I get different indents every time. Also,
> sometimes I seem to get an auto-indent effect when the line wraps, and
> sometimes I don't.
>
> 	  This indent is huge. I hit tab once. At another time I might
> 	  get 4 spaces instead of eight. I want 4 consistently, and I
> 	  thought that was what I set in my .emacs file. Note the
> 	  auto-indent here.

This is a peculiarity of text-mode.  VM's reply-quoting mechanism hides
this, but in your original posting, the T in `This' was lined up with the
`I' in the previous line.  In text-mode (and derivatives, like mail-mode),
tab is bound to tab-relative, which bases its tab stops on the text on the
previous line.  (See the emacs docs for more details.)  If you want
regularly-spaced tab stops, you want tab-to-tab-stop, which is bound to M-i
by default.

Richard