Re: corrupted partion table

on Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 09:46:16PM +0800, xfornavn xetternavn (tomcatoamundsen@mail.com) wrote:

> I tried to install a OS called 2000 something along with debian to
> help port GNU Solfege. The bootloader is grub.
>
> Anyway, after formatting the first partion from fat32 to ntfs, and
> rebooting after the install process hang for 10 minutes, the partion
> table is corrupted. Luckily I have a printout for it, so I know the
> exact cylinder each partion start and end. The hope is that only the
> partion table and the first 5 Gig that was formatted ntfs are touched.
> I don't know this yet.
>
> The question is, if I run fdisk to redefine the partion table (from a
> bootable potato cd), will fdisk only touch the sectors where the
> partion table is installed, or will it wipe out the data on the
> partions as well.

Enter in the appropriate start and end cylinders for each of your
partitions via fdisk.  You're lucky you've got the printout to guide
you, first time I did this, I was firing blind, knowing my partition
sizes, but not the specific layout.  Fortunately, I got
it...mostly...right.

fdisk *only* modifies the partition table.  It's not touching the data
on it, so you can try combinations without fear.  I think (and have been
through this, but if anyone knows differently, speak up).  Your next
test is to attempt ***READ ONLY*** mounts of your filesystems.  This is
a bit like picking a lock, except that instead of pinning the early
pins, you're shooting to get the first partition(s) squared up.

The test is that a parition mounts, and (in some cases) the one
following it.  In some cases, a partition which has its start specified
properly, but is misaligned at the end, may appear to mount properly,
you'll have to guard against this.  If they don't match up, you'll have
to try a modified version of the table.  Since you've already got a
copy, I'm thinking you should get it right the first time.

Once everything looks like it's coming up right, try mounting r/w, and
see how it looks.

Backups are always a good idea.

Peace.