squid and squidguard on a single machine?

I'd like to set up some sort of filtering to make it easier to
keep adult content out of my home and away from the kids.  It
looks like squid and squidguard will almost do it for me.  Almost
in that, at first skimming of the docs, it looks like squid needs
to be run through external hardware, either a router of a proxy
server.  Is there a way to use squid and squidguard on a single
machine?  Is there a novice level HOWTO that can get me started?
Failing that, does anyone know of any consultants who can help
set up such things?

Mike