Linux access to vfat (FAT32) filesystems (was: no subject)

on Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:24:57PM -0600, David Crow (davidcrow@pbsnow.com) wrote:

Please include a meaningful subject line on your email and/or Usenet
posting(s).  You're far more likely to get a useful response.

Please set your mailer to send text rather than HTML, particularly to
list or Usenet posts.

Thank you.

> How is it that Debian is able to read from and write to FAT32 volumes?
> With Linux, this requires 3rd party software?

No.

The linux kernel supports numerous filesystems.  My own box right now
has support for: ext2, proc, nfs, iso9660, autofs, devpts, vfat, and minix.

FAT32 ("vfat" to linux) is supported by compiling in or inserting the
appropriate filesystem code (this sounds more complex than it is, most
default kernels have this already).  The filesystem is mounted as any
other GNU/Linux filesystem by specifying the filesystem type either on
the command line, or preferably, in your /etc/fstab (the file that tells
your system what filesystems you have).

The mount command would be:

    $ mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

...say, to mount your floppy disk.

Other options are '-t auto', which automagickally determines the
filesystem type.  For remote vfat volumes mounted via Samba, you'd
specify smbfs (this is actually independent of the remote filesystem
type).

Peace.