No app menu after DebianPPC install

Debian PPC seemed to install fine. I restarted and redefined the root /dev

When I restarted and logged in, I got a nice Debian Windowmaker screen, with
the paperclip icon in the upper left and the stairstep, terminal and (I
guess) preferences icons on the right. The stairstep, of course, only tells
me about WM.

The terminal only gives me a terminal.

The preferences give me only window-type prefs. I have no applications menu.
When I go to "Edit the menu that launches applications," I get a warning:

"The menu that is being used now could not be opened.This either means that
there is a syntax in it or the menu is in a format not supported by WPrefs
(WPrefs only supports property list menus).

If you want to keep using the current menu, please read the
"/usr/doc/wmaker/README.preferences," press "Keep Current Preferences" and
edit it with a text editor.

If you want to use this editor, press "Copy Default Menu" and instruct
WindowMaker to use it instead of the current one.

If you want more flexibility, keep using the current one as it allows you to
use C preprocessor (CPP) macros while being easy to edit. Windowmaker
supports both formats.

At this point, I don't even know which feel to (try to) edit!!

Help!

-ms