Re: OT: How long has your Linux system been up ?

on Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:05:18PM +0200, Tuomas Pellonpera (tp58494@uta.fi) wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2001, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote on 15/11/2001 (16:53) :
> > > At one time, leaving a machine on overnight consumed less power than
> > > rebooting it (i.e., shutting down and powering back up wasted more
> > > resources than just leaving it on).  Is that still the case?
> >
> > It never was.
>
> Does (daily) shutting down and rebooting wear out the hardware more than
> leaving the computer on for days/weeks/months does?

I've seen one reasonably detailed study of this, possibly by IBM, and
probably carried at Slashdot, in the past couple-three years.

The consensus seemed to be that there was little real distinction
between leaving a system running, or shutting it down, with the
exception of the monitor (assuming a CRT w/o powersaving features).

Thermal cycling does impact computer hardware, but the degredation over
the effective life of most hardware (say, 3-4 years) is not significant.
Power consumption is a slight factor, though again, excepting a CRT
monitor, it's relatively low.

My own balance point:  I leave my systems up, and typically get uptimes
of 2-3 months, 94 days is the top recorded (I think I've been higher,
but haven't broken 100).  The benefits of always-on beat the minimal
power savings and mornign boot wait.  For laptops, sleep and suspend
states are a nice proxy.

OTOH, I also believe that, particularly for systems that are being
dynamically modified, periodic reboots to confirm that system startup
proceeds as expected, is a good idea.  So, say, quarterly boots aren't
all bad.  Continuous uptimes of over a year likely indicate a system
which could stand for a kernel update.

For those who're looking for on-the-fly kernel updates, the two-kernel
Monty hack allows booting a new kernel from an existing one.  Uptime
isn't preserved by default, though it might be possible to populate this
data by passing appropriate kernel parameters.  While useful, TKM also
introduces certain security risks, recognizing that by changing kernel
properties, virtually any aspect of system function may be modified.

Peace.