Re: 404s on update/install

Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> --snip-- <
> This is occurring because you're trying to update your system while the
> mirror is itself updating its archive.
>
> In the Debian mirroring scheme, Packages files often end up being
> updated before the actual package files.  So it's not uncommon for a
> Packages file to refer to foo_1.2.3-1_i386.deb before that package
> actually exists in the archive.
>
> This situation doesn't typically last long, and is corrected as soon as
> the mirror has finished updating.
>
> I have also seen this happen for longer periods of time in the even that
> a mirror's disk fills up and its archive is not in a consistant state.
> I know this has happened at least once with one of the machines that
> comprises http.us.debian.org.
>
> noah

Sounds quite plausable to me.  Thanks!

Is there any way to determine this situation "up-front" in the process?
The reason I ask is that I have about 5 computers I am trying to keep
updated here.  Doing each one manually each day coupled with the
"re-trys" is getting to be quite a PITA.  It is a good thing I am
retired, but the wife is getting a little peeved. <g>

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a cron job to do the
updates, but I haven't figured out a satisfactory way to detect this
condition and abort the update then try again a bit later.

Maybe a script that checks for the presence of this error code and then
exits without completing + logged message to that effect??  I guess you
could set the timing of the cron job that calls this script such that it
gives the delay you want...dunno.

"Number 5 Needs Input" <g>.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-