Re: 404s on update/install

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:53:30AM -0600, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm getting problems with 404 codes on apt-get dist-upgrade or install
> > attempts, in particular, from http.us.debian.org.
> >---snip---<
>
> I have been noticing this too over the last 2-3 weeks.  It started about
> the time I started using the "preferences" file in apt-get to allow me
> to grab and update some stuff from "unstable" on my "testing" install
> here (KDE, Mozilla).  Usually, apt-get update will complete just fine
> without any errors, BUT when I do the apt-get upgrade, I get these
> errors.  They are always on the "unstable" tree...never on "testing", as

This is occurring because you're trying to update your system while the
mirror is itself updating its archive.

In the Debian mirroring scheme, Packages files often end up being
updated before the actual package files.  So it's not uncommon for a
Packages file to refer to foo_1.2.3-1_i386.deb before that package
actually exists in the archive.

This situation doesn't typically last long, and is corrected as soon as
the mirror has finished updating.

I have also seen this happen for longer periods of time in the even that
a mirror's disk fills up and its archive is not in a consistant state.
I know this has happened at least once with one of the machines that
comprises http.us.debian.org.

noah