Adsl/network problem "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable"

Just got my adsl modem today(cisco 677).
But I can't get it to work...
My provider says to first run the command
#dhcpcd eth0
and that I should add to /etc/resolv.conf

Search provider
Nameserver xx.xxx.xx.xx
Nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x

and then run the command
#route add default gw 10.0.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

When I try this in debian 2.2.3 with kernel 2.4.9 and my card 3com509
configured in the kernel, then I get the message

"SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable"

This I get with Debian, Progeny and Demolinux 3.0,  but not with Mandrake8.0.

With Mandrake I have no problem getting online with my adsl modem, so I
believe the method that my provider describes is not relevant to Debian,
right?

How do I do it in Debian?

Roy

The Fastest Browser on Earth.