Xstartup error

I have been running Woody with KDE and xfree86 from Sid.  I did an apt-get
upgrade tonight without first checking to see what would be upgraded.

So, stupid mistake, I know.  Now, however, I cannot start KDE.  I can get
the kdm login screen, but if I enter a user/password, I get the following
error:

Startup program /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/kdm/Xstartup exited with a non-zero
status.  Please contact your system administrator.

There are no unusual entries in the XFree86 log, nor do I see any odd
messages if I hit ctrl-alt-f1 to see the console.  When I did the apt
upgrade, I noticed that xserver-xfree86 was updated from 4.1.0-7 (I think)
to 4.1.0-9.  AFAIK, no kde-related package was updated.  Was there a change
in one of the xfree86 config files that might have caused this problem?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

--kurt