Notes on upgrading potato -> woody

I finally took the plunge and upgraded a non-critical server (just runs my
domain :) to woody the other day. After having read this list for several
months, I was prepared for what I thought could be a challenge. It wasn't,
really, but I do have a bit of feedback, and a couple of questions.

First of all, after updating sources.list, I used dselect for the main
part of the upgrade. Then I did various bits of cleanup with apt-get. I
was upgrading over an ssh connection, not on the console.

* When installing the new libc6, I was asked if I wished to restart
  various inet servers, but debconf(?) wouldn't accept keyboard input.
  I had to ^Z to a shell, kill dselect, and restart it. Then it was
  fine.

* dselect had only installed perl-base 5.6, no perl, perl-modules, or
  perl-doc. That caused various things not to work until I figured out
  what was going on.

* Apache and its associated packages were removed. When dselect was
  finished, I had no webserver. Easily fixed, but why did that happen?

* sendmail seemed to be ignored. I was still running 8.9.3 from potato
  after the upgrade. When I used apt-get to upgrade it, the new sendmail
  package had a logcheck file that conflicted with one supplied by
  logcheck itself. I had to resort to dpkg -i --force-overwrite. Was
  there a better way to handle that?

On the whole, though, things went well. I'm quite happy. I've thought
that Debian rocked ever since I started using it, and I think so now
more than ever. I'd like to thank the list for giving me such a good
background into the ins and outs of debian (particularly dpkg and
company).

I do plan to upgrade at least one more potato server to woody in the
near future. Does anyone have any insight into the above glitches that
might help smooth out future upgrades?

Thanks,
Aaron

--
Aaron Hall             :  Mac OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was
ahall@vitaphone.net    :  easier than debugging Windows. (Go Apple!)

Macintosh/UNIX Weenie, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.