SMTP connect to localhost failed

I don't understand why I have started getting this problem.

Here is my setup:
Potato installation with 2.4.4 kernel using Adrian Bunk's .debs
Connect to ISP using standard dialup modem - using pon
Download mail with fetchmail
Fetchmail delivers it to postfix
Postfix gives it on to procmail
Then I finally read mail with mutt

This setup has been working fine for the last 6 months or more.  And I
have the same setup with exactly the same config files for postfix and
fetchmail on another computer running the same kernel version and it
still works fine.

Last week, I started getting these errors in my syslog when trying to
download my mail:
Nov 16 12:07:44 flea fetchmail[455]: starting fetchmail 5.3.3 daemon
Nov 16 12:07:58 flea fetchmail[455]: 262 messages for mdevin at pop.ozemail.com.au (812090 octets).
Nov 16 12:07:59 flea fetchmail[455]: reading message 1 of 262 (3327 octets)
Nov 16 12:08:00 flea fetchmail[455]: SMTP connect to localhost failed
Nov 16 12:08:00 flea fetchmail[455]: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
pop.ozemail.com.au
Nov 16 12:08:00 flea fetchmail[455]: Query status=10 (SMTP)

I have not changed anything recently, which make this all the more
weird.  So, just to make sure that everything was the same as on my
other computer that works still, I copied the /etc/postfix/main.cf file
from it over and only changed the hostname as required in the file.  But
on trying again, it still gives these errors.

I have also tried telnetting into port 25 and, although I am not quite
sure how to do this, it does seem to work OK:
algemon@flea:~$ telnet 127.0.0.1 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 flea.home.net ESMTP Postfix
MAIL FROM: <mdevin@ozemail.com.au>
250 Ok

I wasn't sure what to do next so I just did ^c and aborted from it.
However, it did seem to let me connect.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further?  It may
be a hardware problem, because I have hardly used this computer recently
and certainly haven't changed any software config files or the like
recently.

Thanks for any help.
Mark.