Re: Upgraded X to 4.1: Lost 1280x1024 mode

"Sridhar M.A." <mas@uomphysics.net> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 08:26:56AM -0800, FGL wrote:
>    > I've just upgraded from potato to woody, including X from 3.3 to 4.1. As a
>    > result, I've lost the 1280x1024 mode that I've been using for years.
>    >
> Mine is Matrox G200. I copied the modelines from the old config file.
> Still, I could not get the earlier max. resolution (in my case
> 1152x864).

  Dust the modelines. X 4.1 doesn't need them any more (yay!). Make
  sure that your VertRefresh and HorizSync lines are at the maximum
  values allowed by your monitor.

  Failing that, you may wish to move your XFConfig* files aside and
  run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to build your config files
  from scratch (start with Simple, and move up to Medium and Advanced
  as necessary). I got the mouse's scrollwheel to work that way.
  Interesting, just read the following in the output of "dpkg --status
  xserver-xfree86":

    If the mdetect and read-edid packages are present, the debconf
    scripts in this package will use them to attempt automatic
    configuration of your mouse and monitor.

  p.s. I've got the G200 too.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!