Re: Converting From Red Hat to Debian

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 06:12 pm, Steve Kieu wrote:

> > So: isn't there a way to perhaps, "put the parts in
> > place",
> > the way they do with SlackWare?  I am almost ready
>
> Has any one tried to install debian like this:

YYEEEESSSSS.......I think that will WORK!!!  :-)  :-)  :-)

HOORAY!  I shall TRY IT!

It appears as if I will have to do some research...but
since I have a working Linux system, I can do the
formatting and such on the second hard drive while running
RH7.1;

I will probably have to find out how the "edit
/root_mount_point/etc/fstab correctly" part would be done
for Debian (probably similar to Red Hat but I wouldn't
presume)...

One thing I haven't tried yet, is running the Debian
install program FROM RED HAT...perhaps it would run,
because the video drivers for my video card are already
running?  This is something I don't know about but it would
be interesting to see if you could install this way, to a
second hard drive.  I think there could be problems...

Also the install program: where is it getting its video
driver in the first place?  Perhaps I could update it (not
for the CD-ROM version,but for the downloaded version)?
That is, put a new driver in the tarball or whatever, where
the old one is?  I don't know, this is just a general idea.

The obvious solution is to buy a new video card--but I
cannot afford it!  Oh well... :-)

Anyway, thanks!

--pampaluz@home.com